Old 09-29-22, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
That's a joke. Coincidentally, I'm in NYC now and, near as I can tell, it is a total free for all - anybody on/in anything can be anywhere going any direction at any speed. My nephew is an orthopedic surgeon here and he texted me "Yeah it’s crazy. Watch out, so many injuries we see are from the bikes hitting pedestrians…Yeah traffic cops are on every block but you can break any rules you want on a bike or car and they’ll never intervene haha"

I also wonder at how "bike" is defined here. The vast majority are heavy electric affairs with pedals that are never pedaled. The pedals must be there just to get these motorcycles classified as bicycles? It may be the real world here but whatever statistics the mayor's office pumped out eleven years ago certainly have no relevance to almost any other place I've been, or even today's NYC itself with the majority of bikes now being electric.

I have never ridden in NYC, but what you're saying is consistent with what a lot of people say about riding there in this era. I think that's a fair point about the statistics not reflecting the rise of the over-powered ebike.

I suspect if you broke down the comments that assert that bike lanes are universally good or bad, you'd find there's a remarkable consistency between posters from the same metropolitan area. Most people tend to look at this through the lens of their local conditions.