View Single Post
Old 01-11-23, 04:52 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
This might be useful to anyone aiming to complete a Super Randonneur Series. I'm trying to monitor my HR during each Brevet so that I can quickly recover and continue my conditioning for the next longer one. I've been without a HR monitor for the last few years, my LT is not what it once was, and my paper training journals are long gone to the recycler so I am a little lost. I recently got a Garmin Explore 2 and I plan to use the HR monitor plus the navigation features. If you have an idea what your LT is, monitor your HR, and have done a SR, can you share your Average Brevet HR as a percentage of LT heart rate for each distance? I assume Avg. HR will decrease as the brevets get longer -- Especially from 200k to the 400 and 600 -- but maybe not.

200k 122-131 bpm ave

300k 131 bpm

400k 118 bpm

600k 122 bpm on 400k and 93 bpm on 200k the next day. I did another one with an average of 98 bpm.

1200K: PBP was about 103 bpm average IIRC (I have the file on another device) with around 51 hours moving time on a recumbent.

164 years old. Max HR 175. Resting HR varies from 50-55 but might be lower if I took it in bed in the morning. FTP/LT2 HR is 153 bpm with FTP/CP just over 300 last year. My LT or VT1 HR is around 120 bpm, this is the point where my lactate is 1.5 mmol/. It is kind of hard to use other's data. Hope this helps, I can't really offer any additional insight.

Steamer's ranges fit my experience but I tend to be on the lower side of his ranges. I also do like CCFboy, going harder on hills (tempo to low threshold) and once I hit a good rate of speed on the descent, I rest. On flats I keep it down a bit.

If I understand the objective is determining recovery status, so, I would suggest using heart rate variability, sleep status, mood, and for those with a PM, adding training stress balance to the mix. With PM, I try to keep it under 70% of FTP initially and more like 65% dropping down like a melting ice cube as time goes on.

Last edited by GhostRider62; 01-11-23 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For GhostRider62: