View Single Post
Old 01-29-23, 12:10 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I rarely see cars on my routes. Typically one every 15 minutes.

Supposedly the stretch between Tintineac and Fougeres can have traffic but I have always ridden that at night or just at sunrise, so, I have no idea. Loudeac to/from Brest have never been an issue with cars for me aside of course in downtown Brest getting to the school.

In 2019 on a recumbent, I caught many 80H packs and they were gutter to gutter due to the strong crosswind off the right shoulder. I do not remember a single instance of a car from the rear and only a couple from ahead. The oncoming cars pulled off the road. So, it is quite possible the PBP officials got complaints about this sort of egregious practice. I have to admit I did like seeing the returning riders as I scraped my way to Brest in 2019 but at night, those poor chaps would have had their eyes filled.

I did see some pileups on the path in 2015 as I was returning and it was VERY dangerous because the outbound riders were taking the whole road at high speed as I was climbing and on more than one occasion, I had to go off the road. I saw the fellow who died on that stretch and I had thought it was a crash but apparently he had an MI. That was very upsetting to see. So, I am not fond of little paths with rocks and branches that are becoming popular on brevets these days.

Last edited by GhostRider62; 01-29-23 at 12:14 PM.