Old 03-31-06, 11:40 AM
wagathon
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gremlin52
I had a afternoon Paper route for about 7 years. Still remember riding my columbia 3 speed w/ 2 baskets in the back. Didn't look cool but got the job done. I rode all year and like one post above ended up on the ground in the middle of teh street because of ice. The paper company had a picknick at the local amusment park once a year, we would be able to get on the rides early before the park opened. I made enough to pay for my first car.
Ditto re afternoon route--except for the big paper on [some cold] Sunday mornings--and, I did my collections on a '63 Schwinn Sierra triple. I think paperboys became a thing of the past when the job was opened up to girls: the newspaper companies feared liabiliity for ****.

Of course, it was a different time back then. And, I was such a sucker: I always stuffed all of the crappy inserts instead of throwing them in the canyon.

My biggest recollection was wrapping big Sunday papers in wax paper (i.e., on rainy days before plastic bags) and heaving those brown bullets toward a door from the street at 5:00 in the morning.

Last edited by wagathon; 03-31-06 at 11:45 AM.