Old 01-18-21, 10:05 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
More direct cycling question, Why would you go on a Santana Tour. We did a Santana tour to Hawaii several years ago and it was the worst trip we have ever taken.

The food and accommodations were of very mixed quality. The itinerary was way over scheduled with more time spent on ferries and transits than riding. ( one day, we ended a ferry ride at 9pm, and still had an 8 mile ride in the dark on a main trafficked road to get to the motel).There was virtually no support, with the participants doing all the work moving bikes and luggage. The choice of where to spend time was bizarre ( two and a half days on Malakai, but only a few hours on Lanai). There was zero on road support. Bill McCreedy actually said if you have a mechanical, just flag down a local with a pickup truck. Additionally, Bill is very opinionated, and I would simply say I do not share his tastes in where to stay, eat, and spend time.

McCreedy was also very rude to a number of participants when they asked questions which annoyed him. I use the term participants, as opposed to guests or customers, because in McCreedy’s view you are a co participant, not a guest or a customer. At the beginning of the trip, he said they invite people to come along on their trips, so they can afford to do the trips. Thus it’s not really a supported tour where you’re a guest; you’re doing a tour with the McCreedys, helping to pay for their vacation in the process.

This idea of group tour with a number of people pitching in together is certainly a viable model. The problem is that you’re paying the price for a fully supported luxury tour and getting essentially a do it yourself trip with support in booking hotels.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 01-18-21 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For merlinextraligh: