Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Holy crap, as a rim brake person (more because I like vintage frames than I give a rip about where the caliper is, it never occurred to me what hanging a bike upside down for a long time would do to the quality of hydraulic braking. Probably going to be a bunch of people crashing dusty, cobwebbed bikes and thinking this biking thing is bullspit and no wonder Dad hung this bike up there and hasn't used it in 20 years.
It's been what I have been dreading all along tbh. OEMs will just be like, "well you can't expect something to last forever". I STILL run into recalled Shimano canti brakes that were recalled in the 80's 90's because the plastic spring retainer would crack. Still. Had a set walk in last week. It's been 40 years. I can't even begin to imagine how bad the SRAM DOT 5 seals will be deteriorated in 40 years.

There will always be problems with tech now that we are relying on non-permanent systems anymore but I feel like we should choose our battles when we can. Top end enthusiast and performance rigs - Sure thing. Mid level and below stock builds? that's asking for trouble long term. People still think bikes are forever and will treat them as such.