View Single Post
Old 08-20-21, 07:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Gravel riding has evolved into an elitist snob activity which requires taking out a mortgage to finance purchasing all types of special "gravel specific equipment, clothing and items "...It's not about the challenge and enjoyment., it's become a fashion show for the newest " gravel specific trends " .
You have a consistent dislike/negative approach to the word 'gravel'. Its so comically extreme that I actually remember from the last generalized rant you went on.

Gravel riding is as expensive or as inexpensive as you want to make it. Just like every other hobby and just like every other genre of cycling, it offers products that vary in quality and price. It is no more or less snobby than it was last year or 5 years or 10 years ago. That is just your uninformed perception, based on the fact that brands now market to the genre. You seem to rely on marketing as reality.

I was in a gravel race 2 weeks ago. There were riders from a local high level amateur team, riders on $4000 gravel bikes, riders on $1500 aluminum gravel bikes, a guy on a bikes direct motobecane fat bike, a few single speed gravel riders, etc etc. The equipment was wide ranging. Some were in boutique kit, many were in jerseys from various rides they have done(so a basic Primal jesey), and quite a few women were in active tank tops.

I went for a 40mi mixed ride yesterday and coming the other direction at one point were a couple of good riders from a different local team. They were in their team kit, as always, just like when they are on the road or when they race cross. Same kit for all of it- hardly elitist snob level. Both were on relatively new gravel bikes that cost the same as relatively new road bikes or relatively new mountain bikes.

Get over your irrational hate. You are being led to a conclusion due to lack of experience and what media you consume.
Likes For mstateglfr: