Old 10-04-22, 09:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yes, unicrown forks are ugly. I'll take my chrome Cinelli sloping crown any day of the week. Compared to a unicrown, it looks positively bichin.

Threadless headsets are probably easier to adjust for people who don't know how to adjust a proper headset. The stems for threadless headsets--ugly, too.

Sloping top tubes? Ugly. Straight bladed forks, made out of any material? Ugly.

The impressionist painter Renoir said there were enough ugly things in the world without creating more. It's too bad bikes have gone down this path.

Disagree. I think many unicrown forks are smooth, have nice flowing lines, and are a great example of form following function, of which there is an inherent simplistic beauty in. They are probably stronger than most lugged forks as well.

Some of the old quill stems looks good, some are hideous. Most are pretty heavy. Threadless stems are a superior design. Can't remember the last time I had to loosen a frozen threadless stem, or worry about the bottom part of a threadless stem breaking off and losing control of the bike. Can't remember any posts warning against having too little amount of a threadless stem inserted on the steerer.

All of this is probably just a confession. I'm the guy that took a Centurion ironman and put a longer fork on it specifically so I could use a threadless headset and stem on it lol. AND the fork is a unicrown.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-04-22 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO: