Old 10-05-22, 02:10 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Calling good friend and frequent C&V contributor @RiddleOfSteel for that one. He’s done lots of rebuilds/updates, and loves Schwinns as working canvases (as well as older Treks).

Lots of good inputs for this project. Surprised I’m the first to mention this long, and long-running thread FILLED with updated frames like the OP’s:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html
@jrg1244 you remember correctly!

@Indytriumph it looks like you can fit some honest 28mm tires (not "28mm" written on the side of the tire as many are often smaller than advertised, and certainly so on vintage/once-normal rims like the ones from this era). That will help the ride, well, assuming it's not a Schwalbe Marathon Ultra Mega Plus 9000 IronXTred Apocalypse Edition pumped to 150 psi or something.

If you'd like to go for a wholesale replacement of the drivetrain, including wheels, I more than understand as it's what I often do. Many a used 9- and 10-speed Shimano groupset, or you could go new or nearly new with Shimano 8-speed Claris (R2000) and get the benefits of modern Shimano ergonomics and gear-handling capability without the price tag or need for expensive wheels. Color is great, too. If I didn't care about component weight or match q-factors (of cranksets) for all my bikes, I'd be a very happy camper with it. I did build a bike with it (to sell) and really liked it! Unfortunately for Claris, or Sora, I live in Seattle and have insane access to the embarrassment of riches that is the used bicycle and component market--both retail and via Craigslist etc--so I have a bunch of used Dura-Ace stuff that I paid way less than new Dura-Ace prices for.

I wish I could properly paint and had the access to do so. Painting can be so expensive if you want to have it done right. Powder coating is much cheaper and can have great results, a route I've gone several times.

Building a bike up from the frame without the parts it came with simply costs money. A la carte vs. combo meal. But we like what we like and get hung up on things, so we have to see if our desired path is a viable one (does my wife approve of this to whichever degree? does my wallet approve, too?) and then go from there. Do you have a photo or two of the bike? What color would you like to be? Would you like the new parts to be silver/polished or painted or does it matter? This is the dreaming stage for the bike--it costs no money to imagine and discuss, which is great.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: