Old 10-06-22, 08:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Indytriumph
The thought of finding a bike that doesn't need work and set up they way I want has crossed my mind. The problem is my wife. It would be easier to spread the cost out over a period of time on parts here and there than it would be on a bike purchase. She seems to think that I have enough bikes already, which I find odd.
If you want to make sure you could sell the bike for the same amount of money you have into the project, then dont paint.
If that is not a priority and instead you are happy to let the cost of your hobby exceed the amount you spend on it, then paint it.

You could paint it on your own if you really want to spread cost out over a long time. Proper prep is critical and you can make it whatever you want.
Or powdercoat it. A powdercoater near me has charged $110-150 per bike frame depending on the powder. I have had 3 frames powdercoated by them and think the quality has been excellent.

I just mention all this because a common narrative on c&v is to not paint because you will never get that cost back once you sell the bike. Hobbies dont need to be a net $0 affair. They certainly can be, but they dont need to be.
Likes For mstateglfr: