View Single Post
Old 09-27-11, 02:14 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_wmn
It's a security issue with most drive-throughs. In a car you're at arm's reach since you wouldn't want to scrape your car or lose a mirror to get any closer. Walk-ups or cyclists can get right up to the window and grab some cash from the register that is right there too, or otherwise threaten the server a bit easier.
And somehow the server is supposed to be immune from being grabbed or otherwise threatened when he tells the walk-up that he won't be served?
The places that have refused to serve me when I ride up have done so while talking to me right at the open window. If I had planned to threaten them or hold them up I could have done so just as easily while they were explaining their policy as if they had just gone ahead and filled my order.

The other reason frequently given is that it's due to an insurance company rule to protect against liability if the cyclist gets hit by a car behind them. Also doesn't make much sense since 1) I could still be hit while being told that I won't be served, 2) if I were hit then I'd collect from the motorist - not from the innocent business, and 3) when the LAB investigated this claim years ago they checked with the insurance carriers of all the chains that had such anti-cyclist policies - none of the insurance carriers imposed any restrictions on cyclists using the drive-through.
Likes For prathmann: