View Single Post
Old 08-09-16, 05:37 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
After several months of the bike sitting, waiting to be ridden and new tires, I took it to work last Friday. First the tires were nearly as old as the bike. I trusted them to a certain level but they are heavy. When was the last time you saw Parelli bicycle tires? Replaced them with 27x 1 1/8 Pasellas.

I was impressed with the bike in general and specifically the tires. It is a great ride, but was flawed with oversights. The chain was clean but not lubed and squealed to the point where I could not hear if the RD was position correctly and barely was able to discern if the FD was rubbing. It was fast. Oiled the chain on Saturday for the oil to soak in.

Yesterday, with a quiet chain, I was able to hear all the other things that were going on. The bell did not ring, handlebars creaked, FD was not aligned correctly to minimize chain rub, and neither the FD or RD cables were correctly tight. Oh and the saddle clamp was too loose allowing the saddle to rotate up and down while riding.

OK the wrenching part. Bent the clapper bracket on the bell so it would ring as well as put a inner tube section under the clamp. Greased the stem to get rid of the creak. Rotated and moved the FD closer to the chain ring as well as taking the slack out of the cable. Took the slack out of the cable of the RD. Test drove and adjusted limit screws for both FD and RD.

Oh the bike:
[IMG]P1030662, on Flickr[/IMG]
Lovely bike