Old 08-01-19, 03:29 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Hi, everyone. I was wondering how all of you manage to deal with being harassed by motorists (i.e. honked at or shouted at to "use the sidewalk"), for not doing anything illegal, but simply by cycling, legally, on the road (sometimes, cycling in the middle of the lane, for safety reasons, due to potholes and unsafe crack on the far side of the road).

I've contacted the council in my small town, today--where I've been harassed in the same area, by several drivers/passengers the past few months--and the state's cycling advocacy group, which helps educate cycling safety to cyclists and drivers. So far, I haven't received any responses from them, so I'm wondering what all of you cyclists do.

I've cycled for several years, but haven't ever been shouted at or harassed this much. I think it's because I mostly used to cycle on sidewalks in suburban and rural areas, when there was one, so drivers weren't mad at me for doing that. But, after I received a flat tire while cycling on the sidewalk, recently, I stopped always cycling on the sidewalk. So, now, drivers are mad at me.

I'm almost tempted to put a sign on my back, in an attempt to educate drivers and, as a way to possibly stop being harassed (because I have no other way-some drivers have their windows closed and others with their windows down drive off quickly after shouting or honking at me, so I'm unable to explain to them that cycling on the sidewalk is unsafe, with debris that can puncture my tires; that the sidewalk isn't level; that, sometimes, pedestrians use it and it's not fair to take up pedestrians' space), but a part of me is worried that that might just encourage more harassment or cause drivers to get the idea that they could purposely put debris on the sidewalk or road, in order to puncture my tires and try to stop me from cycling.

I'm tired of feeling angry at being harrassed for following the rules of the road; I'm tired of letting the harassment ruin my mood, yet, I don't know how I can encourage myself to feel calm and unaffected when it's a serious matter.

How do all of you manage to stay calm and unaffected, while being harassed, often? I've tried being silent and not saying anything to motorists, but that still caused me to feel angry at being treated like this. I don't have the energy or ability to try shouting myself hoarse at every motorist who harasses me, trying to see if they can hear my explanation, as they're farther down the road.

I don't like feeling bitter about being harassed; I know it negatively affects a person's health.

I don't understand why some drivers are so angry at cyclists, simply for existing, some of whom might not be able to afford a car. I've never harassed anyone in public, whether trying to learn how to drive, while walking, or cycling.

Last edited by anon06; 08-01-19 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For anon06: