Old 08-26-22, 03:01 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Yes, you can replace the 105 if needed. I think 9-speed Sora, which is currently on the market, would be the drop-in replacement. However, if you're thinking that the 105 is high-mileage, and too old to last very long, it might be better just to buy a new Sora bike instead (wait for a Decathlon to come in stock). Parts and labor add up quick, and like I mentioned, if that's 9-speed 105, it's coming on close to 20 years, and might have 20k miles/30k km on the derailleurs, cassette, and chainrings.

Will you have a chance to test-ride it? If you do, I would go for it, and make sure the bike shifts well and doesn't have chain-skip issues. However, given that you're quoting distances in miles and the shop is in Belgium, I would imagine that's difficult.

So... from what I can surmise:
- You're looking at a ~20 yr old Ridley of unknown provenance
- The bike is in Belgium, and you're in the US
- The bike costs $350, shipping is likely another $150, not to mention waiting for it to clear customs

At this point, I'd probably pass and look on local craigslist. It may be a perfectly fine bike, but it's probably not unique, and may require work. And do you want to risk your money if that's the case?
I live in Morocco (i'm used to 'US metrics'). The bike is currently in a shop in my city but it's coming from Belgium.. this is something normal in my country.
The only thing that i'm not sure of are the Derailleurs and the Cranks.
Thank you!