View Single Post
Old 11-25-22, 09:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I use Oakleys, a version with the word "flak" in it, but I can't tell you which one without looking it up. I have progressive lenses, with a few other bells and whistles - polarized, and some sort of coatings/treatments on the lenses to make them stand up to abuse.

They were very expensive, and I was pretty sheepish about spending the money. But I've had them for several years, using them for riding, skiing and occasional general use. I'm relatively careful with them, but I tell you, the lenses and frames can handle a lot less-than-perfect usage. Like most equipment you use hard and frequently, these things have really been a good value for me.

They are comfortable and extremely durable, both in the frame and the lens. I've replaced the nose pads a couple of times. Compared to the cheap sunglasses I've always used, the lenses are obviously better in clarity and durability. The way they're designed, I've found, makes them significantly less apt to fog up when I'm skiing. Very happy with them.

The most important thing is how they fit your face. Try on as many brands and models as you can.

I like these Oakleys well enough, well enough to not bother shopping around for another frame. But I'm not 100% satisfied with the fit. Maybe 85-90% satisfied. They're very comfortable, but next time I'm looking, I'll have more of an idea of what sort of lens shape and frame fit I'm looking for. I wasn't quite that aware when I bought the Oakleys.

I do have simple sporty-looking tinted safety glasses with cheaters in them which I keep around in case I forget the Oakleys, and I use yellow and clear safety glasses with cheaters for when the Oakleys are too dark for the conditions. They work great too, but don't have the (very minor) correction I have which makes evertying a bit sharper.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-25-22 at 10:04 PM.