View Single Post
Old 04-02-23, 07:22 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I asked a New Yorker and he said the RBA quit. Too bad.
He'd been doing it for quite a while, and had pared back to doing just a ride or two in non-PBP years (last full series was in 2019). I gather he wanted to focus on the non-RUSA rides he offers/not bother double listing stuff (the Montreal ride used to also be certified as a pair of RUSA 300ks). I've never met him but I did chat with him over email and he seems like a nice guy.

Amusingly, in 2019, one of his rides (IIRC the 600k) and an NER ride passed each other in opposite directions on the same road; I don't know if that's a first for RUSA (two different regions on the same road simultaneously) but it was amusing. (We don't usually venture into New York much, but we did on that ride; a 200k/300k loop around Lake Champlain -- I hope to get a chance to put that event on again soon, but running remote starts is more of a logistical pain than local ones and we haven't had someone in Burlington interested in running it.)

From what I know, the Long Island rides were initially set up under the auspices of New Jersey, but got their own "independent" region at some point. I keep meaning to go down for one of their rides. I think jlippinbike might be the 400k route designer?