View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 06:15 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
IMO the easiest and best answer is "it depends"...
It depends on so many more variables than just test data depending on how that data was gathered.
1: Are you a bulldozer rider? Do you smash and bash your way over everything when you ride? If so you may be better off with wider tires at higher pressures to avoid constant pinch flats. If you're a "light rider"...and I don't mean how much you weigh...you can use a more narrow tire.
2: Pavement...if the pave you generally ride on is smooth and obstruction free like lovely new asphalt you can use a more narrow tire at higher pressures...the tire is not chattering over every bit of surface pebble and there aren't potholes, tire eating cracks, etc. If you're riding on s hit roads then wider and a bit less air may give a better and faster ride.
etc etc etc
There is no "one answer".
I'm 140lbs and ride 23mm Vittoria Corsa clinchers with basic butyl tubes at 90 psi. I've not had a flat in years...sigh now the cycling gods will be out to get me...I'm a very light rider due to the lessons of others and practice. I've tried 25mm Conti GP5000's and they felt slow even at 90psi. It may just be perception but they felt slow to me and that is all the science I needed...I'm doing the riding not someone in a white lab coat in a room telling me I'm wrong.
Considering back in the '80's I did TT's on 19mm sewups at 140psi while I was 135lbs I'd say I'm doing ok and don't worry about cornering anymore lol.
Ride what feels good for you and don't worry about the "science"...