View Single Post
Old 05-18-22, 09:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well, yes - this is exactly the reason for my disappointment.

You're an exceptionally rare example of a Varia owner that don't value its functionality - I get the impression that most, including myself, would replace it immediately if it were lost or broken.

I have a Cycliq Fly12 - it's a nice product with a couple of warts. In terms of being an action cam, the battery life far and away exceeds anything that I've come across that doesn't require an external battery. The light is a nice and sensible inclusion for cycling use - I don't want to keep track of the location or of the battery charge status of a separate light and I sure don't want anything else strapped to my bars.
I know…I got it because of all the hype, but yeah, I’m not impressed by 515 in any way. I find it best for solo gravel, but even then, could totally do without it. And it’s a hideous looking appendage which makes a lot of noise, so it sees more bench time than bike time. Lemme know if you wanna buy it!

What I hate most about Varia, perhaps, is that it doesn’t stop reporting when the bike is not moving, so if I pull over at a junction to regroup, it beeps for all the passing cars as if I don’t expect cars to be passing by on the road! I also find it unreliable, sometimes only reporting one or two cars when there are more, perhaps especially at the first part of climbs, when my speed drops quickly but riders behind are approaching quickly as they hit the incline. I think the Varia gets confused about whether it was reporting the rider, who eventually slows to below radar threshold approach speed, and any cars which may have been coming up at the same time. I dunno, but the net effect is that I cannot trust Varia to get it right on group rides, which are most of what I do.