View Single Post
Old 08-01-22, 10:16 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I know that some of the members prefer not to read the volume that @Vintage Schwinn sometimes writes, I understand that time is precious. He (assuming Vintage Schwinn is male) does know his stuff. If you see his responses often enough you can skip over his advice for Shimano or SunTour derailleurs, the goodness of Ashtabula one piece cranks and other bits that you have seen before. Then that leaves the stuff that you haven't seen. And that can be good.

Often the original poster that he is responding to hasn't seen one of his posts and so all this information is new to them. Definitely, not the case with @mkeller234 though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Vintage Schwinn website so that his knowledge could be looked up and shared more easily.

By the way, my original plan on my Continental show above in post #5 was to make it into a sportier bike with a three piece crank, better shift levers and ditch the kickstand. It was a number of BikeForum members, including Vintage Schwinn, that convinced me to keep it a Schwinn Continental pretty much the way it came with some exceptions. Those being aluminum rims and a SunTour rear derailleur. I enjoy the bike and when I look at it, it looks the like the Continental that I'm familiar with back in the seventies.
Agreed, there is good info in there. I read the entire post though, because I forget so much of the detail over years. For example, I completely forgot that the Super sport and Varsity had tube diameters that were different.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Likes For mkeller234: