View Single Post
Old 08-02-18, 01:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Again, IMO, in the premise of the OP, biking and walking may be more prevalent among the affluent as a personality characteristic, whereas using public transit, may also be more prevalent too, depending on where they live.
Just to qualify, the term "affluent" - it means a person or community have easy access everything they need. "Wealthy" has an entirely different meaning. You don't have to be wealthy to be affluent. (See: "The Original Affluent Society"). On this note, not owning a car is one of many "tricks" I use to remain "affluent" without monetary wealth. By living a car-free existence I can take a job making $8-10,000/year less than the same qualified person who needs a dependable car to get to work. Or I can take the extra money and use it elsewhere. A healthy person can live as Spartan a lifestyle as they desire cutting costs all sorts of ways. So for me, the car going away was the PRECURSOR to "affluence". And just one of the puzzle pieces albeit a big one. When I owned cars it seems I was always broke, or near broke, with maybe $50 in the bank and no way out other than to get a "better" job. As soon as I ditched the motor vehicles money began piling up. From there I learned more and all of a sudden didn't have to work very hard (or very long) to make ends meet plus some.

In short: I got rid of the car, then became "affluent" because of that (and other) similar decisions.