Old 01-14-20, 09:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i wouldn't recommend practicing standing starts into a hill. you want to train application of power through a range of cadences, and that means that you need to practice rolling that gear up, topping out, and maintaining power at a high cadence. think specificity - using the hill to bring your cadence down won't help you make speed on a track bike.
Thanks for this tidbit. I didn't think of the topping out part of the deal in terms of my standing starts.

More detail - there's about 200m before the hill, so I was thinking more of using the hill to slow me down rather than using the hill for resistance. I'm particularly concerned with the first 5-10 seconds of the start, where my lack of practice/experience/etc will be painfully apparent. I have to think about the high cadence power though.

I don't know where I'll be able to practice regularly on a fixed gear bike. One option I haven't explored is to get a fixed gear bike with brakes, but that's not realistic at this point.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson