Old 04-30-21, 07:47 AM
Fenny07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Except that they can't (do it all). At least not when it is set up for what it was built to do. FWIW, it sounds like you actually need 2 bikes. One for riding around with the kids, and the other for single track and other types of mountain biking.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but I think it is the truth.

I agree, but dropping serious $$$ on two bikes isn't an option, especially considering I'm not 100% sure exactly how my riding time is going to be divided up over the next couple of years. I'm essentially trying to figure out where to compromise. I may not be able to get one bike that will excel everything (very understandable), but I should be able to find a bike that will at least let me get out and do them all in some form or fashion. Right now it looks like riding with the buddies is the most demanding/challenging of the requirements, but it's also the lowest priority as family time and rides with my wife are more important. So I'm thinking sacrificing at that end is the best compromise. So I'm hoping that something like the growler or the fathom, which with obviously function just fine for the family rides even if it isn't the best option, should still let me go out with the buddies. I'll go slower and be more cautious than if I had a better bike for that kind of riding, but at least I'm still out with them. If I get something like a dual sport 4, which would be better for the family runs, I'm skeptical it that would even survive the runs with my buddies. Does that make sense?

Again, 2 bikes would be best and maybe 2-3 years down the road that will be the plan. At that point I'll have a much better idea of exactly what type of biking I'll be doing as well as having a bunch more time on my hands. Then I can look into getting a more task specific bike and spending serious cash on a bike that will make a big difference in the riding I'm doing. I just can't justify that kind of investment when I'm still discovering my interest and time availability. So one bike for now.

Thanks for all the wisdom, it's great having all the videos and stuff posted but I've always preferred real feedback from people who can share their experiences.