Old 05-29-21, 06:49 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
COVID Bike Fleet Story:
I’m almost ashamed to admit that I’ve acquired six (or seven) bikes since early March, 2020. My wife and I went out for breakfast (for the last time until 2021) on March 8, 2020, in a place on the Milford NH Oval. There was an antique shop across the oval, so we dropped in. In the basement I saw a Lotus Excelle in my size. I took some pictures, started reading about that model, and became more interested. I started looking on Craigslist etc to get an idea of what it might actually be worth (even though it was only $75) before I could decide to go back and buy it.

Now, I was hooked on browsing CL (and FB Market). While browsing for Excelles, I saw an interesting listing for a vintage Raleigh. But the listing did not name the model, or even show any decals, it just showed obscure details of the bike, like the fork, lugs, components, seat, color, etc. I had always wanted a vintage Raleigh International from the 70’s, but they had become too collectible for my budget. To me this looked like one. The last day I ever worked in my office, March 11, 2020, I met the guy to look at the bike, and it was, as I suspected, a Raleigh International. It seemed all original (maybe not tires or handlebar tape), a little beat up, and he was asking $155, said he didn’t want to sell it some kid that would turn it into a “fixie.” I had decided if it was an International, I wouldn’t haggle. I have ridden that numerous times, and the Excelle once (yes I bought the Excelle too, the day before all stores closed).

So that was two coronavirus bikes. A Raleigh Super Course was the third.... a CL listing for a frame and fork (with wheels, brakes, and seat), $80. It was the twin or my first road bike, same coffee color and same lugs (Capella). I picked that one up wearing a mask and gloves, alcohol sprayer in hand. Next month or so, another coffee Super Course appeared, completely original, Nervex lugs, $100. I didn't "need" it, why I bought it I don't know.

Fast forward to 2021, when I picked up a "Wheeler Tremosine" very locally for $25. It was posted as "Wheeler Road Bike" and since I live on a Wheeler Road, it was a must. Finally, I found a CL ad for my Clunker Ride bike, a Green Raleigh Super Course, $45. I watched it go unsold for weeks, and finally traveled the hour or so to buy it.

The "Wheeler" Road bike was in far too good condition to qualify as a Clunker, regardless of low price. The International and the 2nd Super Course were above or at the $$ limit, and the 1st Super Course was already built with numerous upgrades. So it was between the Excelle and the Green Super Course. I had to go with the Green Super Course, because it needed TLC, and more importantly it signified the end of COVID.