Old 05-29-21, 01:52 PM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
COVID Bike Parts Sources for Green Super Course:
Around October, 2020, I had the good fortune to find a box of parts listed on Facebook Market Place, seller had them listed ridiculously cheap at $5 (believe it or not). One of the items in the box was a Campagnolo crank (drive side only, missing little nuts) with 53/39 chainwheels, a cartridge bottom bracket, and some derailleurs. For the record, I only used the crank. It's kind of too upscale for this project, but it's all I had!

Also, sometime during COVID, I rescued a black Fuji (unmarked, possibly a 1980 Royale) from the town dump. It was a good donor bike, and 's useable parts included a tattered seat (fortunately for me, since I needed a seat), mismatched derailleurs (rear not original), crank, bottom bracket, and shifters.

In my college days, I’d installed cotterless cranks on my very first Super Course (1973 model, coffee color). I am now somewhat older than I was in 1980, and I live among hills, so I now need easier gearing. Maybe a rear freewheel with bigger big cog (>28 tooth), or maybe a 39 tooth chainwheel, or both. Fortunately, in April, 2020, I had bought a 32-tooth freewheel (Suntour Perfect) from "BoulderBicycle.Bike" for $8.00. It was frozen, as advertised, but came loose with some soaking and WD40.

I decided to install the Campagnolo crank and the BoulderBicycle freewheel on the Green Super Course. Because the actual prices were unfairly cheap, to be fairer I’m allocating $5 for the crank alone. Since there was a square taper bottom bracket in the $5 box, I'm saying another $5 for a bottom bracket (square taper instead of cottered), and another $5 (estimated) for a non-drive side crank arm. The actual bottom bracket and right side crank I used were donated by the Black Fuji Royale dump rescue. Also in the $5 box, wrapped in brown paper, was a nicer seat post, which I also used (Kat-ching), and front and rear derailleurs (which I did not use, but I assigned $5 each for front and rear derailleurs again from the Fuji).

Incidentally, I tried to force the seller of the $5 box to take $15, he initially refused, then relented by taking $10 and throwing in some sunglasses.

My 10th post (tomorrow probably since it's 5:00 o'clock somewhere) will be the final price tally for the Green Super Course. Then I'll go back and add pics.

Last edited by darnet; 06-03-21 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add pics