Thread: Spoke tension
View Single Post
Old 12-12-21, 10:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It might not be possible truing a used wheel and have even spoke tension at the same time. Forcing even spoke tension would likely un-true the wheel.
That's where a lot of skill or a tensiometer comes in. Unless the rim is bent it is possible to even the spoke tension to within a proper range. When doing a wheel that's out of whack tension wise I check all the spokes one one side and pick a middle spot (say 100 if the spoke range is 120-60) then bring all the spokes to that tension, then the same to the other side before rechecking the 1st side. Once done bring the tension back up to close to normal, check true, straight and round and finish tension. Most don't ever need that extreme but it happens.

Originally Posted by mrwang199432
Based off my video, do you think the tension difference is that bad? Can i keep riding...
Video doesn't tell me anything, maybe I'm missing what you're trying to show? Easy way to get a general idea is to grab a pair of spokes and gently squeeze, do the same for all the pairs, unless you have one that is noticeably loose or really tight you're probably fine.