Old 01-21-22, 11:46 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I wish the Cross Check had rear vertical drop outs and not horizontal forward facing drop outs, as then most any quick release would be adequate. I realize why they don't, for the single speed-fixie crowd, but you just have to make sure you're using a well made internal cam quick release with nice serrations so the rear wheel (drive side) doesn't pull forward over time when you mash gears going up a hill and such. Just one less thing to worry about and I'm a worrier. It would not stop me from building up such a frame but I would just include in proposed costs, that of a Paul Internal Cam Skewer. Or if you don't mind carrying around a small 15 mm wrench, opt for serrated nuts. Btw, I have two friends that used their Cross Checks for the purposes you mentioned and they often toured fully loaded with them as well with no problems. I owned an LHT for a few years but enjoyed riding their Cross Checks better for most everything other than when loaded to the max, and that's where the LHT will shine.