View Single Post
Old 07-04-22, 01:46 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I used a 1030 (did not have the 1030+) until I replaced it with the 1040, and honestly speaking, the 1030 was perfectly fine to do what I needed, and it did it very well. Upgrading to a 1040 from a 1030+ I imagine is a tough sell. But, in my experience, the 1040 so far does not disappoint. As I said, and was roundly criticized, in the thread you started, the teething issues that people claim seem like internet urban legends to me. I have had exactly 2 incidents, both reported to Garmin, that were easily resolved without losing data. Two other people I ride with regularly have had no issues. We all use Power Meters (one has a pedal based PM), HRMs, two use radars, and we record everything. Our different sensors have caused no issues that we can tell when comparing notes….though we aren’t using any of the types reported universally to have issues.

First: the device had a random shutdown about 20 minutes after setting off last Thursday. I realized it within seconds, so I stopped, restarted the computer and continued recording. Second: a few days ago I loaded a course, and then pressed the start key, and it kept saying I was off course, and recalculating. The map showed the course, and rather than following the roads/paths I designated, seemed to be a series of straight lines between the “course nodes” I had plotted. I stopped the course, and reloaded it, and proceeded to ride another 120km over the next four and a half hours with no issue, to include utilizing two tunnels and lost satellite connection while underground with nearly instant reconnection once it had a clear view of the sky again.

Other than these, the BT connection has been rock solid, and there have still been zero sensor drops.

Last edited by Badger6; 07-04-22 at 03:55 AM.
Likes For Badger6: