View Single Post
Old 06-18-21, 12:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ4Mtb
I have an All-City Space Horse and am wondering about wheel upgrade. The bike comes with unmarked JoyTech 32 hole disc brake hubs and WTB STP i19 700c rims. Not much info on the hubs. The dealer who sold me the bike suggested that the most consequential upgrade would be the wheels. I am curious about opinions for good, affordable wheels that would make a noticeable difference in ride quality. Thanks in advance.
Remove your wheels. Then remove the rotors, cassette, and tires(as well as tubes if thats how you roll).
Weigh both wheels completely void of anything more.

You will then at least have a starting point to compare your current wheelset with other options. If you dont know what you have, how can you know what will be 'better'?
I would be hesitant to hope for improved ride quality, unless your current wheels are wobbly and creaking or something obviously wrong like that. Ride quality will moreso come from frame design, geometry, tire size, tire pressure, and contact points.

Also, wheelsets vary from $150 to $4000. If you want some popular recommendations, you should list a budget so people dont take time to suggest wheels that are way above or below what you are wanting.