Old 07-08-21, 01:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Real clever. Are you planning on using rubber grommets there as well to minimize wire rubbing against metal?
Thanks. Yes, I'm using grommets pretty much everywhere the wire passes through a hole in metal. Here's a shot of the fender with the grommet installed:

One exception is the seatpost, where I didn't want to bore a really large hole and still not be able to have a grommet reach to the other side of the hole. So I did everything I could think of to file and smooth any sharp corners on the inside. I'll wrap the wire with a layer of electrical tape for good luck. Sorry about the junk in the background of this shot!

Here's one thing I did to smooth the inner edges of that hole, after using a rat-tail file. I cut thin strips of Micromesh cloth-backed sanding paper, attached a wire to one end, and then used that to fish it through the hole so that I could carefully pull it back and forth to smooth the hole in the direction that the wire will pass:

And that grommet I showed at the downtube lug hole in post #134 had to have the "lip"/"flange" nibbled off on one side so that I could press it in at all. My thinking is that even if it doesn't reach all the way to the other side of the hole, it will hold the wire away from the edges (which I also tried to file and sand smooth however I could.) Here's what that grommet looks like out of the bike. I'll use some kind of glue to hold it in place once everything is finalized:

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-08-21 at 02:05 PM.