rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
I managed to install the Rohloff with some parts and guidance from

Denham bars and roloff hub,she is different.i,m enjoying the switch to alt bars and the rohloff is nice although you still have to turn those crankarms
G’day Garryg,
the “Hoff” can be an acquired taste and take some time to get to the point where you start to enjoy ownership.
Due to feedback through the pedals, many think they can feel “drag” and let negativity from others detract from an experience that’s really not negative.

Try not to let this be you because the noisiest detractors tend to be either people who’ve never owned the hub or those who too early on in the piece, fell for the negativity and passed their hub onward before enjoying the benefits.

I initially struggled with the noise when coasting which I found myself focusing on with embarrassment.
I managed to get passed this and the coffee grinding feedback often sited by detractors that never bothered me given I’ve never spent much time in the gears where this tends to be somewhat pronounced.

Saying that, for the money you pay, you might easily expect some sort of magic carpet ride which you simply won’t experience.
I simply savour the lack of derailuer to have to adjust and clean, the ability to change gear stationary or on the fly.

Some whinge about the extra weight rearward, but given I seldom lack a pair of loaded panniers on my rear rack, it’s not something that’s ever bothered me.

If I was to complain about anything, it would be additional stress regarding security of the pricey back wheel, which sometimes adds a level of paranoia, occasionally detracting from the days pleasure of cycling.

After a decade of ownership, I now couldn’t imagine having a bike without one but understand that they aren’t for everyone given we are all different.

I hope you enjoy the hub.
Nice looking Disk Trucker by the way

Last edited by rifraf; 06-07-22 at 12:57 AM.
Likes For rifraf: