View Single Post
Old 03-11-08, 02:55 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
If you have one of those freewheels that cannot be removed save for the destrucive method described at ParkTool's website but you would STILL like to reconstruct it afterwards - here's how.

One pic from "before" the reconstruction - this is the so-called inner body of the freewheel:

And a pic of the "after". Notice the wear on the teeth. That's how you know I actually removed (destructively) and rebuilt the sucker:

HOW TO:
  1. The biggest problem are the pawls. What I did was, I carefully degreased the inner body and the pawls (you'll see why), put the springs and the pawls back into place, and then secured them with normal, transparent, adhesive tape The tape is wider than the height of the pawls several times, and that's good, because it will protrude from the top once you put the outer body on. The tape is also the reason you have to degrease the inner body and pawls carefully: otherwise, the tape just won't stick well enough.
  2. Now it's time to put some heavy grease into the lower race of the inner body. I used Mobilgrease Special NLGI 2. It's a kind of lithium grease. Then put the ball bearings in there.
  3. Put the outer body on top. The pawls, being flush with the inner body due to the tape that keeps them there, won't be any obstacle.
  4. Time to remove the tape. You will need a small screwdriver, possibly with a flat head or torx, to keep the pawls IN (by keeping them down) while you pull the tape OUT. Use common sense while doing this - start pulling the tape from the free end and work your way around. This is extremely simple, actually.
  5. Put back the spacers on the inner body.
  6. Now just put grease in the upper race of the outer body and put the other half of the ballbearings in.
  7. Screw on the lockring and you're done.