Old 03-22-24, 05:49 PM
Jean Daspry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The reason why a long time ago is relevant as if it was a great idea people would still be doing it, it would be common and easy to find.
Yeah, I remember the time when children were mainly playing outdoor, or people were buying things to last and did not consider most objects as consumables like in fast fashion or with planned obsolescence, good thing we moved on, right? wait...

We are exchanging here. The same is the same. I said what needed to be said, I am sure others have said something similar in the other threads.
I didn‘t want to sidetrack this thread, and I could not imagine you still saying this after having read my thread, but here we are, it seems like moderators don‘t mind us being off topic, and you still clearly maintain your points even after having knowledge of my situation.

I already have and use the bike as is, and it‘s a great familly bike, as it was designed for. I don‘t need a PAS but the wife kinda does, especially after a small leg injury and three growing kids. The front hydraulic brake system is entirely sufficient and the rear coaster brake doesn‘t do too much, but is a very nice redundancy (especially when your hands are already full trying to keep the younger one from throwing stuff out of the bike, or keeping the older one from murdering the first one).

Now I, for one, am always curious to learn new things, so I have quite a few burning questions for you.

You want to have good brakes if you are riding an e-bike, they are heavier, and generally faster or maintain a higher speed than your average bicycle and a coaster brake is really a casual brake for a beach cruiser or a required relic of the past for many kids bikes. Flat terrain slow speeds casual riding generally
Do you think the Christiania Bikes cargo bike, that “actual real mechanics” designed the brake system for (dual front hydraulic disk brakes and rear coaster brake, up to 100kg of cargo, 235kg total), would be significantly affected by the weight of the 10-15 kg of motor and batteries?

Similarly, do you think that the speed while cycling in a flat, urban area, often on pedestrian-shared spaces, with two/three of your hyperactive children in the front and EU legal 25km/h PAS cutoff will be much more challenging than before the conversion, for the “actual real mechanics” designed brakes?

Plus with a fixed gear, as you are trying to create. and a motor you could easily damage it and burn it out trying to back pedal, the whole reason mid-drive motors disengage as you pedal backwards is so you don't damage them so reintroducing that element is not a great idea.
Do you think that the amount of back-pedal rotation required to activate the coaster brake is sufficient to turn and damage the motor, and that the “actual real mechanics” designing coaster brake compatible motors somehow never thought of that?

Don‘t you think that the use of throttle control seems like a more probable “whole reason” to introduce a freewheel between the chainring and the cranks?

Alright, as you might have understood, these are more rhetorical.

That particular company you have a bike from also makes electric bikes pre-built and ready to go with disc brakes and a Shimano Mid-Drive motor. Would really recommend that.
Of course, I agree that it would be nicer to be able to put another hydraulic disk brake on the rear, like the “actual real mechanics” of Christiania Bikes did on the new 5,000€ base-price mid drive PAS model.
However, none of what you said seems enough to make it a sine qua non in my case.

Here is a real question, now : Do you really see no way, for under 5,000€, to make my bike safe with a mid drive ebike conversion, other than buying a whole new bike?

I still really appreciate you taking your time to help me.

Last edited by Jean Daspry; 03-22-24 at 05:56 PM.