Old 06-02-21, 09:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Thanks.
I hadn't even noticed those marks in the label area. I just checked - one mark was just a wrinkle in the label and the other is a slight scuff in the rim with the label wrinkled up around it.
So I think it will be OK.
I think using the Mavic with the full eyelets might be easier for me as a rookie? No chance of dropping a nipple into the rim?
Yes, the eyelets prevent dropping a nipple into the rim but that’s not a huge problem in general. A dropped nipple will come out but you have to do a bit of shaking to get it out. They tend to rattle around if you forget to get them out...I know from experience.

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Thanks for all the replies.
I've ordered the hub and once I have that here, I'll do some measurements and order spokes and nipples.
I guess I can 'unbuild' the wheel(s) while I'm waiting.

Any recommendatins for a spoke supplier? (I'm in Canada so shipping can be an issue but a spoke supplier local to me is charging twice to three times the US prices I've seen...so I'm wide open to alternatives.)
Others have suggested Rose Bikes out of Germany. Rose sells spokes for less then you can get them wholesale in the US. Shipping is reasonable and quick. I would suggest double butted (or triple if you are a heavier rider or are planning on heavier loads). The rim is secondary to the life of a wheel. Spokes are more important. Spend money on them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: