Old 09-11-22, 03:41 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
There have been several blind 'semi-scientific' experiments that show tubing has a very small and non-intuitive effect on the ride of the bike.
Originally Posted by Nessism
I've built frames where one had a heavy/thick down tube, and another that was similar in most regards except for a fairly thin down tube, and the thick tube frame most definitely was stiffer. The friend I gave the frame to commented about how stiff it was when sprinting.
My comment was in reference to your post above.

I think we all are on the same page and share the same understanding.

With Dedacciai tubing, ZeroTre is the lowest strength, and thickest, ZeroUno is stronger, so it can be drawn thinner, with shorter butts, and Zero is strongest still, and only comes in thin/short butt configurations. For the most part, it's not possible to build the same frame using the different tube sets. One needs to choose the purpose of the frame first, then the family of tubes to be used is part of that realization. Picking which tubing family first, is going about the job backwards.

Edit: it seems that ZeroTre is discontinued now. Too bad. It was a nice tubeset. I suppose only higher end custom frames are made by framebuilders these days. There must not be a market for a more standard tubeset anymore.

Last edited by Nessism; 09-11-22 at 04:22 PM.