Old 07-10-19, 12:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Cyclists need to stop at junctions, and the stop lines need to be further back than the ones for motor vehicles so that the cyclist can see before proceeding. Ideally the cyclist needs to vacate the corner and actively cross a side road instead of passing it. The idea that a cyclist would just carry on along a straight cycle lane at a junction (intersection, whatever), or stopping within the turning area of a trailer, is a recipe for getting swiped like that female doctor cyclist did the other year.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I like "ceding" the area used for right turns when I'm stopped at a light, by stopping about 10 feet short. This is at intersections with no dedicated right turn lane.
Ok, we all know that right turns are a problem.

One thing to keep in mind. If I was driving a pickup, and legally going straight, then nobody would care if I was blocking the lane waiting for the light to change.

If it is a turn-only lane, then I'll often move left to the first lane going in the direction I'm wishing to go, or perhaps on occasion "lane split" allowing turning cars to my right, sometimes wave them forward.

If it is a straight/turn lane, I tend to move as far forward as possible so I'll be "seen".

I don't have a problem with a car doing a right on red around me, and I'll be close enough to the curb that that should technically be possible.

But, I don't want a truck (or even a pickup) dragging a trailer behind to think right on red is any way acceptable.

And, that should be part of the driver's training. PATIENCE.

Of course, it may also depend on the environment. If it is a lone cyclist, then the car should be able to simply wait.

If there is a steady stream of cyclists, then it may be that it is better for a vehicle to get through the turn while the cyclists aren't moving.