View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 11:10 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by Rick If the bicyclist would have controlled that lane, instead of cowering to the right edge. The motorist would not have clipped him with the mirror. The bicyclist had every right to do this under the law. That lane is to narrow to share it with other traffic. I have discussed this subject many times with friends and people on forums. When people insist on endangering themselves like this I have to chalk it up to natural selection.Are you sure we saw the same video? Cowering to the right edge of the lane? OMG. So the car came over and hit him? Because I saw plenty of daylight between him and the parked cars he was avoiding. I don't know, if the choice is between a car in motion and one that is parked ... I guess he could have been doored ... but he was not. He was not moving fast enough to have any fear of not being able to stop if a door opened in front of him. He should have been more afraid of moving traffic. But if he was to take the lane as you advise, then the only way to do it right is to do it right and get right in there. Right hand tire track at least. Lane center at best. Then if LE pulled him over he could practice his Dale Carnegie training on the officers. It's one thing you and me seeing the same video and reaching different conclusions. It's quite another when LE want to know why you did not cede the travel lane to faster traffic. Extra points if you are a POC doing the convincing.
There is no mystery here. the motorist made a bad choice and illegally passed and sideswiped the bicyclist. The bicyclist could have avoided this collision by using the lane appropriately. Meaning being further out in the lane so the motorist didn't think there was room for him and the bicyclist to occupy the same lane. This is reckless driving at its finest. If the bicyclist still rides in this manor after this collision I am still going with natural selection.