View Single Post
Old 09-06-19, 01:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
See the link I shared. If you put yourself in the driver's focus, they might choose to pay attention to you.

The road is apparently US-95 in AZ. Not an interstate highway, but part of the US route system. Interestingly, AZ apparently does not ban bicycles from the interstate highways if there is no suitable alternative route. This is a state highway.
Oregon is pretty generous to cyclists as states go, but only on specific marked stretches is a cyclist allowed access to the US route system! The exceptions are well noted and have wide shoulders so that bikes can be WELL clear of the roadway. Put yourself in the drivers focus? Really? I've had to change tires and pulled well off 55 mph roads and you simply cannot imagine (unless you have experienced it) what the speed differential between freeway traffic and stationary (a cyclist!) objects is. A cyclists only chance with speeds like that is to be nowhere near the travel lane! Why do they need to see you if they are going to miss you by 8 feet?

Lots of risky and/or ridiculous things are allowed. Motorcycle riding without helmets is allowed in many places. I'm not even going to pull that road up on Google. I don't want to find out there was a side road the victim could have used instead. I would no more use US-26 in my area to go east/west than I would use US-101 to go north/south. Both are allowed. Just because a thing is ... allowed. Sometimes you have to use your own common sense foresight because hindsight is a _______ (rhymes with smother).

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-19 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm: