Old 07-07-21, 12:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Any 10-speed cranksets that *aren't* Hollowtech-type?

I'm looking to replace my Ultegra 6700 crankset (175 cranks, 53/39 rings). I'd prefer 170 cranks. Might even go shorter if I convert this Diamondback Podium to mostly TT/tri-bike configuration. Probably 50/34 rings, although I have no problem with the 53/39.

With age and injuries 175 cranks don't really suit me anymore. Used to feel fine but now it feels like I'm pedaling squares. And it's really cramped when I tried to use aero bars. (FWIW, I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, so 175 cranks were kinda marginal for me anyway but I managed for a few years.) After riding 170 cranks all of 2019 on my older Trek 5900, and 172.5 all of 2020 on my old Ironman, I'm sure I'll be more comfortable with shorter cranks. Unlike the old square taper sets on my '89 Ironman and '93 Trek 5900, it's all or none with 6700 and similar cranksets. Can't just replace the crank arms only.

I haven't had any problems with my Ultegra 6700 crankset... so far. I check it often. All the broken cranks or spindles/axles I've seen online were 6800 or newer. And, yeah, I know, statistically the reported broken Ultegra and Dura Ace cranksets were pretty small and appear to be related to atmospheric conditions that may have weakened the bonding. And maybe the 6700 spider was inherently stronger, I dunno.

But...

I wanted to get shorter cranks anyway. So, if I'm gonna try 170 or so cranks, I might as well consider a whole 'nuther brand or type of crankset. But checking the online catalogs I can't determine whether any of the currently available replacements are available with solid aluminum cranks, or whether it's all hollow tech or nothing. I suppose carbon fiber is a possibility but probably out of my budget.

Weight is no big deal. My fast days are long gone and we don't have any mountains here, so a few grams won't matter.

Thanks.