View Single Post
Old 11-09-21, 04:34 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Situational Awareness

Maintain situational awareness at all times. That’s a big wrapper on lots of details that you will learn on your own.

Learn the common risk situations. There are lots of resources like https://bicyclesafe.com/.

Some of the details I use on similar stroads:

A mirror is a huge help in keeping track of what’s developing behind me.

I avoid packs of cars. I use traffic lights to my advantage; often I can fall in behind the platoon leaving an intersection and I will have open road to the next light.

I’m actively visible. As previously mentioned, lights and eye-catching garb. I use lights front and rear during the day. I “take the lane” when necessary to improve my conspicuity and make it easy for them to pass me safely when I can. I move my head and wave to indicate to motorists that I see them.

I learn from my close calls. Before I go to sleep I review my journey in my head and think about what could have happened and what I can do differently to reduce my risk.

There are hundreds of little details and practices that you will develop for your journeys to both reduce your risk and improve your enjoyment. It beats the daylights out of driving.
Likes For flangehead: