Old 12-15-21, 05:01 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
If you are comfortable riding the bikes for hours per day then there is no reason not to tour on them.

I am not too familiar with modern Trek road bikes, but it may lend itself to frame and seatpost packs rather than racks and panniers. Does it have rack mounts on the frame and fork?
Also, if the bike has lightweight low-spoke count wheels (like most modern road bikes) then it might be a good idea to get some more stout wheels built for it.

As for the 6700, it's likely good to go as-is. Bolt some racks to it and hit the road. The similar thought about wheels, though - if the 6700 has many many hard off-road miles on it, maybe re-spoke the wheels with new spoke, at least the rear which carries most of the load - spokes can suffer fatigue failure after long heavy use.
I appreciate the insight. I upgraded the wheels on the Domane with a DT Swiss 24h wheelset so I will definitely invest in a 28h or 32h wheelset if I decide to go that route. There are rack/fender mounts front and rear but the fork is lacking those extra eyelets that are sometimes on the front (not a dealbreaker of course). Also, because it's a 44cm frame, there's only about 7.5inches between the saddle and the rear tire and the main triangle is pretty small which limits what bags I could use.

I'll start with the 6700, see how that does and definitely check those spokes as you suggested. At this point, it's probably the more tour-ready of the two.