View Single Post
Old 12-17-21, 10:07 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
In 2021 I’ve restored more bikes than ever before (good COVID hobby right?) and it’s helping me hone my skills. After building up a couple mid 90s rigid Cannondales for my son and myself my brother asked me to keep and eye out for one to build up for his son. Cannondale #3 for 2021 was built up for my nephew (M800s and a spruced up M400). My brother then asked me “if you ever come across another one grab it for me”. I found a 4th fully rigid Cannondale (M800) a few weeks ago and suddenly realized: here’s my chance to get the Ritchey back! With all the work I put into these restorations it was a no brainer I’d get it back, the 95’ M800 I built up for him turned out pretty sweet and he was very happy with the deal.

Now finally I can talk about the Ritchey rebirth. I only needed to purchase tires, saddle, grips and stem. I bought a full XT Diamond Back Arrival for $50 this year (M730). Perfect for this build. I kept the newer brake calipers which have been on the Ritchey for 30+ years.

Back in the 90s I ground off the rear rack eyelets from the seatstays and drop outs (no regrets). The paint was pretty scratched up and needed touch ups anyway, I masked the decals and used the closest red rattle can paint I could find to clean things up. Not my best paint work but the start of things to come.

Here are a couple pictures. I do not have pictures of it from the late 80s/early 90s. These start early 2000s and the last one shows how it was given to me brother. I’ve chosen to keep the Ringle Mojo cable carrier.

Likes For retrodude: