Old 04-23-22, 10:02 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I did the watch and wait thing for 5 years with biopsies every 6 months. I had no symptoms except sky high psa numbers. after 5 years Urologist said I probably needed to make a move due to my gleason scores. I was 55 when first started the watch and wait and 60 seemed too young to go under the knife, which is what my urologist suggested altho he did tell me there were basically 3 options ie radiation and brachytherapy besides surgery (he did both robotic and traditional and said both had equal results) I decided to get some other opinions. Went to a radiation oncologist and he wanted to do radiation. I asked about Brachytherapy and he said I was not a candidate for brachy. my sister in-law runs a radiation unit at Mayo and she suggested I come to Mayo for a third opinion. Top Doctor in Mayo said I was a perfect candidate for Brachytherapy. I am over 3 years in and zero side effects, I was lucky and never had any of the usually post therapy issues. For those who are going through this research Brachytherapy. All 3 options have very similar long term outcomes so pick the one you are most comfortable with. We all have different desires and what works for one won't for some one else. The day after I had Brachytherapy I walked 6 miles and a few days later made love to my wife (I know too much information) only stipulation is need to wear a condom for the first month or two after treatment.

It is funny I never told anyone except my wife (I swore her to secrecy) I had prostate cancer and even going into treatment I never told anyone other than my wife's sister as she set the appointment up at mayo. 3 years later I have told only two close friends and only because they are my same age and they both told me they had high psa numbers and were doing the biopsy thing every 6 months. Not sure why it has been hard for me to talk about it.