View Single Post
Old 10-07-22, 08:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Last summer when we camped near Custer, we went to Custer State Park to see buffalo & other wildlife. We drove around for half an hour or so looking at trees and fields, never seeing anything. Maybe one buffalo here or there. I was getting discouraged, but then we came up over one hill and there they all were, hundreds of buffalo all over the place. It was like that scene in Dances With Wolves where they sneak up to the top of the hill and see the huge herd of buffalo.
Sounds like you did the Wildlife Loop. I rode to Custer from Hot Springs, stopping at Wind Cave to take the long tour of the caves. I then continued on to SD 87 through much of the state park before cutting off on a dirt road on my way to a few nights in Custer. I never bothered to do the Wildlife Loop because I was buffaloed out by then.

I saw some pronghorns during my rest day in Edgemont, which is the southern terminus of the Mickelson Trail. While at Wind Cave I learned that pronghorns are the second fastest land mammal on the planet, with the cheetah being No. 1. It's believed that, over distance, the pronghorn would win a race with a cheetah. Also, they have eyes that are roughly the size of an elephant's eyes, giving them excellent vision. I have a better photo at home.

Edgemont, SD
Likes For indyfabz: