Old 04-09-22, 02:39 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I question the logic of going tubeless with a road bike. Advantages for mountain and gravel bikes with being able to run at much lower pressures without a lot of pinch flats and gaining from more traction but this does not apply to a road bike. Thre are advantages to running with a 28mm wide road tire and having lower tire pressures and more bump shock absorption but if I have a 700x28 tube tire at 70 PSI instead of a 700x23 at 100 PSI, what am I going to gain by going to a 700x28mm tubeless tire, and how much lower can I have the PSI without a significant increase in rolling resistance?

My last flat on a road bike was more than 40 years ago when I used sewup tubular tires. I once destroyed my front tire thanks to a broken Coca Cola bottle on the road but it would have been a total loss with a tubeless tire. When a sewup cost me the equivalent of 15 hours of my labor as a student making minimum wage, I became very good at spotting debris in the roadway and avoiding it and even used tire scrappers to knock off bits of glass and thorns.

Tube or tubeless I am going to need to carry a spare tube and way to inflate it or be prepared to walk back to my house or car.