Old 09-28-21, 05:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yup .... and I for one am really glad. Giant is usually better value per dollar simply because it lacks that market cachet. People would rather buy a trek with the same frame (basically) and about the same build, because of the downtube decal.

Giant isn't hurting. I am sure if they wanted to spend a buttload of money on marketing they could eke out another few dollars per bike ... but probably too much effort for too little return.

It's funny, everyone looks at Trek and Specialized as the big American brands, and probably Cannondale next .... despite where the bikes are actually made.
Giant have an interesting business model. Basically focusing more on manufacturing (including manufacturing everyone else's frames!) than marketing. Trek, Specialized and Cannondale all focus heavily on promoting their "USA premium bike" image. While the Italian brands promote their historic racing pedigree and design flair. It's all a bit ironic when you think about it.

My first carbon frame was a Giant (Cadex branded) that I bought back in 1996. I remember they were struggling to sell against high-end steel frames of that era. So I got a very good discount and it turned out to be a really decent frame. I rode it for about 8 years before selling it on to a colleague at work.
Likes For PeteHski: