Old 09-12-22, 10:34 PM
ClayH 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. A split plate type puller, assuming you can fit it in.
2. I’m assuming you want a non destructive method, but cutting a split in the crank arm will get it off.
3. Supporting the bike with the BB spindle resting on something to protect the bearings, you can gradually tap the arm off. This doesn’t really work well with non drive side arms.
4. Assuming you can get the other side off and remove the crank and BB from the frame, if you know someone with an arbor press they may be able to press it out.
5. Once upon a time I saw a kit for tapping a slightly larger thread in the dust cover location for just this issue, not sure how common those are.
6. If you only want to save the arm and not the spindle, you can always grind the spindle out. However this might cost you more time and grinder bits than the part is worth.

Say you do get it off, are you planning to put it back on again and repeat next time, or are you planning to replace the stripped part?
We are replacing the crankarm, want to save the spindle and BB. I think we are going to go through a couple of dremel wheels tomorrow.
Likes For ClayH: