View Single Post
Old 02-17-13, 04:29 PM
Giant40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
People often thing bike shops are just trying to sell more when they suggest (strongly) a new cassette or freewheel with a new chain. It's a sore point, but the simple fact is that a new chain won't run on a well worn sprocket, and an old chain won't run on a new sprocket.

If your original chain and sprocket are worn to where they're slipping, it's 100% sure that replacing either alone won't solve it, and will likely make it worse. You need both, and as someone else pointed out, you might need a new chainring or two, but these are more forgiving, so you might skate on that.

Most shops, only charge nominal labor to install a chain and cassette if you buy both from them (when I was in retain, we'd do the install free if both were bought new). Or you might search locally for a bike co-op where you can do it yourself, using their tools, learning in the process.

If you had listed your city of residence in your profile, someone could likely have steered you to a decent shop or co-op in your area.

I assume this is an older bike and understand that you don't want to spend any more than you absolutely have to. Look for a "blue collar" bike shop, where they specialize in more basic family family and entry level bikes and repairs, than a "pro shop" which caters to a more monied crowd.
The shops I've been going to, which are small, charge the same for the install as for the item--they simply double the price. If a chain was $20, it would be $40 installed. Same for the cassette.

The bike is a Specialized Hardrock about 7 years old. I've been using it for rain/snow rides so I can save my newer bikes for better conditions. I'm not anxious to press one of them into rain/snow riding, but also not anxious to spend even more money.

FWIW, I don't see the chain actually slipping over the gears when the skipping happens, which is why I originally thought it was the freewheel. The chain appears to stay firmly on the gear, which is another reason I questioned whether or not the problem is with the chain. I'd just hate to replace the chain only to find that it's not the problem. I've done that sort of thing before (with this bike) and it was frustrating.