View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 04:04 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I don't want ANYTHING in my ears when riding my road bike. Next to sight, my hearing is my #2 most important sense in keeping me alive on the road. I can hear cars behind me. I can hear when they're accelerating to pass me.I can tell if it's a truck. I'd also miss the sounds of the little stream on side of road as it rolls over rocks. Birds. The world. I'd never wanna mute my hearing; I'd be less safe and miss some beautiful sounds around me.
Then you'll want to protect it when the noise level is above safe or you can lose it permanently. If the ride is quiet, then there really is no need for protection. If the noise level on the ride is excessive, with excessive being defined by a time-weighted-average, then hearing protection is necessary. This can happen as a result of wind noise at certain speeds or in certain conditions, with motor vehicle tire noise, with reflected noise in urban environments, and with any other loud noise.

I live and ride in a mostly rural area where my rides are quiet, but I can tell you if I commuted across the Golden Gate Bridge everyday, I would absolutely wear hearing protection. I was riding it on a tour last week and it's over 100 dB out there. It is not safer without hearing protection.

I don't trim my sideburns, so I have natural cat ears.