View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 11:26 AM
sbuckaroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am lucky to be near the capital crescent trail which goes all the way to georgetown. From there I have to ride with the traffic which is a bit unnerving. Besides I would prefer not to go via the trail when sunset is late as it is pitch dark along the trail. I have a garage at work with an area for bicycles so theft won't be a problem I hope.

I am very interested to giving commuting a shot but I need to take the first step (or pedal)!

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I used to commute from my apartment in Mt Rainier, MD, next to the old movie theater that was then a church, by bicycle, in the 70's. Up route 1 to the U of MD, and down Rhode Island Ave into D.C. I found it was a marvelous way to get around back then, in the post streetcar, but pre Metro era of mass transit in Washington. There are a lot of things you will need to work out, like carrying stuff on the bike on racks in bags. And the whole theft thing is very discouraging. But if you can arrange a safe place to park your bike at work, it is very do-able. I commuted for many years by bike here in California, prior to retirement.

What's nice about it is that in a regular program of exercise, it allows you to take advantage of time that would otherwise be wasted, sitting in a car or on a bus. And if you can make it routine, it becomes a natural part of your exercise routine.