View Single Post
Old 12-02-22, 09:40 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you think it's the cables that are the problem and you just replace them it shows just how little you know. If you ride 4-5 days a week you would be doing yourself a favor if you replaced both on an annual basis.
2016 Hardtail (Shimano) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2018 Fat Bike (SRAM) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2019 Hybrid Bike (SRAM) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2021 Fat Bike (SRAM) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2020 Road Bike (Shimano) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2021 Road Bike (Shimano) still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.
2020 Full Suspension (SRAM) Mountain bike still has original cable and housing. Shifts perfect.

Annually? That's a lot of housing and cable to change and money spent for something that's working perfectly fine on every bike. Please tell me again why I need to change these annually?

I go through all my bikes and inspect them a few times throughout the year and the bottom line is when there is evidence of wear on cables, housings, shifters or anything...then parts will be replaced. Bike cables (and many other parts on a bike) last until performance isn’t what it should be. How long cables (or any part on a bike) lasts varies depending on MTB or road bike and the conditions the bike is exposed to. How often isn’t necessarily a set time in months, years or miles. The signs will be in how your bike is responding to shifting, braking etc.

Last night I went out and checked the cables on the brifters of both road bikes (Shimano 105) and no signs of the cables fraying.

I'm starting to think that as a bike mechanic (either in business for yourself or working for someone) that you tell people annual replacement in order to make more $$$ for yourself or the shop you work at.